The purpose of internship is to provide IoBM students to get relevant corporate experience in reputed organizations. The Internship Program for interns is designed to provide students with the opportunity to work on meaningful assignments and gain real-world experience. Thus making them immediately useful to the organizations they join upon graduation. Real-world experience is aligned to the courses studied by students. Such experience is of vital importance to students in two main areas:
Gain Valuable Work Experience in the Chosen Field of Interest
An internship is a great way to gain hands on work experience, develop specific skills and knowledge as well as to network with people from the students’ chosen field. Moreover, employers assess the skills and abilities of prospective employees by evaluating their previous experience. Students pursue career-related opportunities prior to graduation, thereby, obtaining an edge over other candidates in the competitive job market.
Decide on Right Careers Prior to Graduation
An internship provides a more accurate picture of what individuals do in certain professions. After experiencing a particular job environment and observing what it entails, students may decide if this is the right career for them. The internship is compulsory for all MBA, BBA, and BS final year students, and has a minimum duration of six consecutive weeks. Executive students are exempted from the internship program as they are already on the job.
MBA: Minimum CGPA = 2.8 Semesters of Study Completed at IoBM = Two
BBA / BS (Honors): Minimum CGPA = 2.4 Semesters of Study Completed at IoBM = Six
- MBA & BBA (Honors) students having completed the Methods in Business Research (MBR) course.
- The Institute selects suitable organization for internship of the student.
- A student has to select and write a case study on problems faced by the organization or department where the student interns and suggest workable solutions based on the courses studied.
- Students are required to explain in their report how the internship enriched their learning by identifying theories and concepts studied in class and their application in relation to their experience in the organization of internship. Reports are graded as follows:
A - Grade = 3.89 points B - Grade = 3.33 points
Grades lower than ‘B’ are considered ‘satisfactory’ and are not awarded any marks. Interns who fail to get a passing grade (CGPA) are required to re-write their reports.
- Reports are required to be submitted by an intern within two weeks of completion of the internship.
- All sponsoring organizations are requested to evaluate the intern’s performance on a prescribed form which is discussed with the intern so as to focus on his/her strengths and weaknesses. The form is mailed by the organization to the AP&IC Department of IoBM.
Following are the requirements to complete the Internship:
Start of Internship:
- Information about the Internship (Company Name, Date of commencement of internship) to Internships & Placements Department is mandatory, preferably in person or by email to us.
- Following details should be intimated within First Week of Internship in a particular Organization.
Company Name, Address, Department, Duration of Internship (Start and Ending dates), Name of Supervisor / HOD with Contact #, Copy of Internship Offer letter (to be submitted immediately –or E-mail to us)
Soft copy of Internship Evaluation Form (attached):
- It is the responsibility of the concerned internee to learn the Internship Evaluation Form filled by his/her supervisor in the company of internship , get it sealed as ‘confidential’ and to be mailed / couriered to HoD – Internships and Placements, Institute of Business Management, Ibrahim Hyderi Road, Korangi Creek, Karachi.
Submission of Internship Report (As per soft copy of guidance attached):
- Report should be submitted in Hard & Soft Copy within 14 days after the completion of internship. Late submission will not be accepted and the said internship would stand cancelled.
- If in the Internship Report, the evaluation is not found according to the given guidelines by the Internships & Placements Department than the internee will have to rewrite Internship Report as per instructions of the HoD Internships & Placements Department and guidance given by concerned HoD / Faculty.
Submission of Survey Forms:
- As per Higher Education Commission’s (HEC) instructions, all HEC recognized universities/institutes have to conduct a survey of all their graduating students. Therefore in compliances with HEC instructions, you are required to duly fill the said survey forms & return the same along with the Internship Report.
- Internship Report will be forwarded to HOD of respective Academic Department after review by the HoD Internships & Placements.
- Internship will be for a minimum of six / seven continuous weeks without any interruption except the week end off day (s) in the respective organization. Therefore, students are not allowed to attend classes during their internship period except on Saturdays & Sundays. If Saturday is the organization’s working day, permission must be obtained from your supervisor & the shortfall should be made up to complete the required period of internship. In case of absence (s) for any reason, internee Should Inform the organization in advance & also intimate the Internships & Placements Department accordingly
- Internship will be allowed only in organizations approved by the Internships & Placements Department, and change of organization without department’s permission, is not allowed
- Interns should provide the photo copy of the internship offer letter, supervisor’s details, location, telephone number & email address of the organization & other details within one week after starting internship
- All interns are required to write a report based on the given guidelines (attached)
- If any further guidance is required about how the report should be written, the internee should consult the HoD of your concerned field of specialization.
- Remember, report submitted by the intern after two weeks of the internship’s completion, will stand time bard & will not be accepted.
- Interns will personally ensure that the hard copy of Intern’s Evaluation Form is completed by the sponsoring organization by the end of internship period and sent to IoBM by mail or courier.
Note: Only those internships will be considered valid for graduation, which are graded as at least satisfactory and also supported with a reasonably good evaluation by the supervisor of the concerned organization.
Announcement of Internship
IoBM’s AP&IC Department manages a database of Internship opportunities of the reputed companies / Organization in market. These opportunities are communicating on regular basis to our Students via group mails, notices.
Organizations offering Employment/ Internship to IoBM Graduates/ Students
Our graduates and students are employed and have done internships in over 400 plus National & Multinational companies:
List is attached
On Campus Recruitment Drives
The Department has been able to develop strong relationships with the corporate sector by signing MoUs for Internship, co-sponsoring guest lectures and seminars. As a result, companies frequently conduct on-campus re cruitment drives. This includes such organizations such as Unilever, P&G, ICI, GSK, Engro, etc.
Supervision of Internees:
For the purpose of internee’s supervision, our departmental team members visit organizations where our students are doing Internship to inquire about performance of the internee.